This dairy-free mac and cheese was a “main course” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Alana. For the creamy base, she whisks flour with Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just use caution when selecting a dairy-free cheese alternative. Many brands of dairy-free and vegan “shreds” are now free of gluten and the top eight allergens.
Also, for gluten-free, be sure to select a gluten-free pasta. There are many types available, from corn-, to brown rice-, to bean-based.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons flour (or use sweet white rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or more if you like it spicy!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dairy-free white cheddar cheese alternative
- 4 to 6 cups cooked penne or any type of pasta (wheat-based or gluten-free)
- Parsley, for decoration
- Sauté garlic in oil on medium-high until golden. This will take only seconds.
- Add flour and stir to thicken into a paste.
- Add milk beverage slowly, stirring constantly, this will thicken the mixture faster and prevent lumps.
- Add mustard, hot sauce and seasonings. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium low heat to thicken. Stir every few minutes so as not to burn the sauce.
- Add cheese and stir to incorporate to a thick sauce.
- Pour over cooked pasta, stir to mix. Dress with large parsley leaves.