When Hail Merry asked me to create some grain-free and dairy-free recipes using their new Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Macaroons and Lemon Macaroons, I headed to the kitchen without hesitation. These amazingly soft coconut snacks (they even stay tender when frozen!) lend themselves to so many delicious ideas that my only problem was narrowing them down.
Since the macaroons are pleasantly sweet, I went the snack route with the following four healthy grain-free and dairy-free recipes – all of which are also gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan! You might even consider them “raw” (except for the melted chocolate in the ice cream).
The first recipe for Cookie Dough Apple “Donuts” is actually featured in this post! For the other three grain-free and dairy-free recipes, simply click through the link or image to head straight to the recipe on Hail Merry’s website. Enjoy!!
Healthy Cookie Dough Apple “Donut” Snacks (recipe below)
Special Diet Notes: Cookie Dough Apple “Donuts”
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and raw.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 package Hail Merry Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Macaroons, refrigerated or frozen
- 2 medium organic apples
- Place the cashews in a spice grinder or food processor*, and process until finely ground and beginning to clump. Add the coconut oil, vanilla, and salt, and process again until smooth and creamy.
- Finely dice the macaroons (they are easy to cut when chilled).
- Core the apples and slice horizontally into ¼- to ½-inch thick rounds.**
- Spread the cashew butter onto one side of each apple round. Top with cookie dough macaroon bits (be generous!), gently pressing into the cashew butter (they should settle in nicely).
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The coconut oil will help the cashew butter set up for a rich glaze that holds tight to those cookie dough bits. Devour.
**If you are concerned about browning, you can toss the apple rounds with citrus juice (lemon, pineapple, orange).