When Hail Merry asked me to create some grain-free and dairy-free recipes using their Cookie Dough Bites, I headed to the kitchen without hesitation. These amazingly soft coconut snacks (they even stay tender when frozen!) lend themselves to so many delicious ideas that my only problem was narrowing them down. But I eventually landed on this healthy snack recipe for vegan cookie dough apple “donuts.”
This fast, easy, and delicious sweet recipe includes a healthy, homemade, vanilla cashew butter that sets up like magic shell when briefly refrigerated. This helps to hold those yummy cookie dough bits in place!
I’m I submitted this healthy vegan apple donut snack with cookie dough topping to Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Apple Donuts Snack
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and raw.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 8 raw macaroons (see Cookie Options below)
- 2 medium organic apples
- Place the cashews in a spice grinder or food processor*, and process until finely ground and beginning to clump. Add the coconut oil, vanilla, and salt, and process again until smooth and creamy.
- Finely dice the macaroons (they are easy to cut when chilled).
- Core the apples and slice horizontally into ¼- to ½-inch thick rounds.**
- Spread the cashew butter onto one side of each apple round. Top with cookie dough macaroon bits (be generous!), gently pressing into the cashew butter (they should settle in nicely).
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The coconut oil will help the cashew butter set up for a rich glaze that holds tight to those cookie dough bits. Devour.
*If using a medium to large food processor, you may want to double the batch of cashew butter. This would be 1 cup cashews, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and a dash of salt.
**If you are concerned about browning, you can toss the apple rounds with citrus juice (lemon, pineapple, orange).