This egg-free, dairy-free French toast is a wholesome spin that was brought to our attention by Meatout Mondays. However, it was originally shared on a quaint vegan blog called Vegan 2000. Both websites have moved on, but this healthy baked vegan French toast recipe lives on. It’s infused with orange juice and sweetened with dates for a uniquely delicious breakfast experience.
If you don’t have any cashews on hand, or you need nut-free French toast, you can substitute a dairy-free milk beverage for the cashews and water. Or you can substitute another nut, like almonds.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Baked Vegan French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 4 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 7 slices vegan bread
- Applesauce, fresh fruit, or maple syrup, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Grind the cashews into a powder in your spice grinder or blender.
- Put the ground cashews, water, dates, and flour in your blender and blend until smooth. Add the orange juice and blend to combine.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a shallow pan, like a pie pan.
- Dip each slice of bread in the mixture for about 30 seconds per side, or until saturated. Place the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Flip and bake until browned on the other side, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with applesauce, fresh fruit, or maple syrup, if desired.