Did you know that not all hummus is dairy-free? The classic recipe is. But in stores and recipes you will find that some contain dairy in the form of cheese or sour cream. Even a local beet hummus I found was sprinkled with feta. But this healthy beet hummus is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and top food allergy-friendly. Most store-bought brands of hummus are also made with soy oil. With homemade you can use your oil of choice – in this case, extra-virgin olive oil!
Healthy Beet Hummus That’s Baked and Oh So Versatile
Most hummus recipes are raw, but this healthy beet hummus is baked for 10 minutes to help meld the flavors. You an enjoy it warm, or refrigerate it for a cool dip. And here are some delicious serving tips:
- Top with a final drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of microgreens and toasted sesame seeds for contrast.
- You can serve with fresh cut vegetables, like carrots, celery, and bell peppers. They’re all complimentary to beet flavor.
- Or you can stick with the warm theme and serve with lightly steamed or blanched cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower. For many people, it’s best to lightly cook these vegetables, and it makes their bite less harsh.
- Torn pita bread and dairy-free crackers and chips are also great accompaniments to this healthy beet hummus. For a nutritious accompaniment try flax crackers. Or you can go more traditional with pita chips.
- Another option is to use the healthy beet hummus as a unique spread on bagels or dairy-free sandwiches.
This Healthy Beet Hummus recipe with photo was shared with us by Bertolli.com.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Beet Hummus
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, added sugar-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 3 beets, trimmed and peeled
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add the beets and boil until soft.
- Puree the beets with the chickpeas and tahini until a uniform paste forms. Drizzle in olive oil until a nice, smooth, thick consistency is reached. Season with salt.
- Transfer the beet hummus to an oven-safe serving dish, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Optionally top with another drizzle of olive oil to serve.
Key Pantry Supplies: Healthy Beet Hummus
I had beet hummus this summer and it was amazing. Can’t wait to try making it!