This recipe healthy recipe for broccoli cream soup was shared with us a while back. I don’t have a record of who sent it in, but I believe it was Olympic dairy, back in their days of making soy yogurt. But you don’t have to use soy yogurt. Any plain, unsweetened, dairy-free yogurt will work great. And I’ve even included a non-yogurt option, just in case you can’t find any! Either way, this soup is filled with flavor, warmth, and nutrition.
Special Diet Note: Healthy Broccoli Cream Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, plant-based, optionally vegan and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon oil or dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 5 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegan)
- 1½ pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 cups dairy-free plain unsweetened yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil or buttery spread in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring it to a boil. Add the broccoli and let it boil gently for 7 minutes, or until just tender.
- Add the curry, bay leaf, sugar, and cayenne, and simmer, partially covered for 10 minutes.
- Put the yogurt in a medium bowl, and gradually add some of the broth mixture while whisking until smooth. Add the yogurt mixture to the soup and stir to combine.
- Gradually add mixture to yogurt stirring vigorously, then add yogurt mixture back to soup.
- Heat just until hot. Do not boil. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the nutmeg and pepper, to serve.
Pureed Option: if you like a creamier finish, you can puree the soup with a blender or stick blender. But be sure to remove the bay leaf first, and vent the steam from the top if using an enclosed blender.