Many years ago, Mori-Nu shared a “luscious” recipe with us for “easy chocolate dessert.” That basic name didn’t quite capture what the well-known tofu maker had created. It’s a rich but nutritious chocolate mousse layered with fresh fruit and optionally garnished with toppings. So we’ve renamed it dairy-free chocolate mousse parfaits – and yes, it can be made as a single pie.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse Parfaits with a Full Pie Option
In addition to updating the recipe, I have a few suggestions, tips, and substitution ideas to share with you.
- Chocolate Chips: Beyond the fruit, this is the only sweetened ingredient in this recipe. So be sure to choose a chocolate brand that you like, which has some sweetness. See our Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips Guide for suggestions. And yes, you could use dairy-free white chocolate chips for a sweeter, vanilla-style treat!
- Pie Crust: You can use a regular graham crust or a Oreo chocolate crust. Most brands are actually dairy-free, and there are even gluten-free options. For fun, you could make mini pies with mini graham cracker crusts.
- Toppings: I linked up to our Foolproof Coconut Whipped Cream because I like it best for parfaits. But you can stick with the tofu theme and make Soy Whip, which is equally delicious. You might also choose to top the dessert with Dairy-Free Butterscotch Sauce!
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Mousse Parfaits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the chocolate chips, serving method, and toppings that suit your dietary needs.
- Melt the chocolate chips and water together in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir vigorously. If not fully melted, heat 15 seconds and stir vigorously again. Do not overheat the chocolate or it will seize!
- Place the tofu in your blender or food processor and puree. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla, and blend at high speed for 2 minutes.
- Layer the chocolate mixture and fruit in pudding cups or in a graham cracker pie crust.
- Refrigerate the dessert for 1 to 2 hours, or until set.
- Garnish with dairy-free whip, almond slices, and/or additional fresh fruit, if desired.
More Dairy-Free Parfait Dessert Recipes