Granola is one of the easiest things to bake, and it tastes so much better when it’s homemade. This Healthy Honey-Sweetened Granola was shared with us years ago. It uses water instead of oil, for a low fat, oil free breakfast or snack. If you prefer your granola with more crisp, you can replace the water with just a few tablespoons of oil.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Honey-Sweetened Granola
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free, if needed)
- 1 cup oat bran (certified gluten free, if needed)
- 1 cup wheat flakes (can sub more rolled oats for gluten free)
- ½ cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed (for gluten free)
- ½ cup sliced or chopped almonds (sub sunflower or pumpkin seeds for nut-free)
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup chopped dried apple or prune
- ⅓ cup honey (sub bee-free honey for vegan)
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, oat bran, wheat flakes, wheat germ or flaxseed, almonds, raisins, and chopped dried fruit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, water, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Spread the granola out in a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally
Key Pantry Supplies: Healthy Honey-Sweetened Granola