This recipe for Healthy Morning Waffles was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest, submitted by Teresa Makin.
Teresa uses a blend of hearty whole wheat and all-purpose flours to keep these morning waffles light. If you want a completely whole grain breakfast, you can use whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour in place of both flours (equivalent amount). These types of whole wheat flours tend to be just a touch lighter, but still retain the wholesome fiber and protein.
To keep them vegan, Teresa uses coconut milk beverage for the liquid (you can substitute almond milk or your favorite free-from milk alternative) and coconut milk yogurt in place of eggs. For reference, the 1/4 cup of dairy-free yogurt equals about 1 large egg plus a little sweetener (the yogurt adds a good dose of sugary goodness!).
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Vegan Morning Waffles
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian. (Wait, isn’t coconut a nut? See this post for the answer).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk beverage, yogurt and oil.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Stir with spatula until just combined and slightly lumpy. Let rest while you heat your waffle iron.
- Once heated, spray the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into waffle iron as directed and cook as directed by your waffle maker instructions.
- Enjoy with pure maple syrup or a dollop of dairy-free yogurt and fresh berries.