More If you’re looking for an easy, healthy, naturally allergy-friendly meal that kids and adults well love, then look no further! These Turkey Sloppy Joes are filled with good-for-you ingredients, and are easy to whip up on a weeknight.
Even the homemade hamburger buns can be from scratch before dinner! Of course, you can look for dairy-free hamburger buns at the store. But once you’ve made these quick recipes, you won’t buy another bag again.
This healthy sloppy joe recipe is adapted from one of my favorite old-school magazines, Prevention, but the dairy-free hamburger bun recipes are from my collection.
Special Diet Notes: Turkey Sloppy Joes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- ⅓ cup strained tomatoes (we used canned), chopped
- Dash nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to tste
- 2 dairy-free wheat hamburger buns or skinny gluten-free buns
- Lettuce, for garnish (optional)
- Red onions, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of pan. Raise the heat to medium. Add the meat to the side without the vegetables and saute until almost cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Stir the meat and vegetables together. Add the vinegar and stir. Add the tomato paste and sugar, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes.
- Toast the buns. Divide meat between buns, garnish with lettuce and red onion, if desired.