This vegan chocolate frosting recipe pairs with this healthier vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe, and was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest!
Created by Kimetha Wurster, this decadent vegan chocolate frosting is sweetened naturally with dates and gets its fluffy texture from avocado! But don’t worry, the flavor melds nicely and with a good blend, no bits of green should remain – just rich, chocolaty goodness.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Vegan Chocolate Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, top allergen-free and optionally paleo.
- 8 Medjool dates
- 1 cup plain or vanilla milk alternative (So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage works well)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon caramel imitation flavoring or real vanilla extract
- Pit dates and cut into small pieces. Put in the bottom of a blender. Cover with the coconut milk let sit as long as possible (1 hour or so).
- Cut avocado and scrape out all the green goodness. Add cocoa and choice of flavoring and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Fancy: Put in pastry bag and top cup cakes. Not Fancy: Take a spoon and put a spoonful on top of cupcake. Don't tell them and no one will know there is an avocado in there.
Hi there-I made your recipe for my son’s birthday this weekend and it was great! Mine didn’t look like yours (darker) and the consistency was that of pudding, but it still worked as a frosting. Thanks so much!