Tami Noyes ~ Cookout season is here! It’s time to fire up the grill and bake up some wholesome buns to go with your veggie burgers. Sure, you can buy some great whole grain hamburger buns these days, but like anything else, homemade are always better.
This easy vegan recipe for hamburger buns is packed with whole grains and made tender with just a bit of oat flour. Lighter than some whole grain recipes, thanks to the white wheat flour, this one is sure to be a hit in your house. White whole wheat flour is tied with whole wheat flour for nutritional content, but it is milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than traditional red wheat, and makes lighter-colored, milder-tasting baked goods. It is available in most major grocers with the other flours, or you can purchase it online.
More good news about these buns? They freeze well, if you happen to have leftovers.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, 1 tablespoon syrup and the yeast. Stir to combine and set aside to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground oats, salt and vital wheat gluten. Stir to combine.
- Add the remaining tablespoon maple syrup and the olive oil to the yeast mixture. Add to the dry ingredients and mix together. Add an additional tablespoon or two of water or flour if needed to make a workable dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured work surface for about 10 minutes or until a smooth dough is formed. Form dough into a ball.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer dough ball to the bowl, smooth side down. Turn over so the oiled side is up. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Transfer risen dough to a lightly floured surface and deflate with your hands.
- Cut into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten slightly to form a bun.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rise until nearly doubled, about ½ hour.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until nicely golden. The buns are done when they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom with your knuckles.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool before cutting.