Store-bought gravy often contains dairy, so I usually make my own. It’s as easy as flour, broth, salt, and pepper. But sometimes I want gravy with more flavor, or I need a quick and portable option that only requires the addition of water. This dairy-free gravy mix is my solution. It’s just like the packets you can buy at the store, but it’s cheaper, uses simple pantry ingredients, an is made without any milk or additives.
To Grandmother’s House Easy Dairy-Free Gravy Mix
This dairy-free gravy mix is a variation of a brown gravy recipe my sister makes with beef bouillon–usually to go with venison. I looked at several gravy mix recipes online and adapted it based on those. It’s great for weeknights, and if you’re travelling somewhere where the gravy being served has dairy, such as a relative’s house for Thanksgiving.
My sister likes the gravy thin with just 1 Tablespoon of mix added per cup. I like 2 Tablespoons per cup, which makes a thicker, stronger-flavored gravy. Most of the recipes I researched use 2 Tablespoons per cup.
I often make this as chicken gravy, but it can easily be made vegan with the use of vegan bouillon. I really like Orrington Farms Bouillons. They don’t use MSG, are gluten free and they use sea salt. I was noticing on their site that they also offer vegan beef and vegan chicken options (and vegan ham!). I bet those would be good in this.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Gravy Mix
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian.
- ½ cup non-GMO cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (You could do all cornstarch for gluten-free but I like it with half flour best.)
- ¼ cup dairy-free bouillon (chicken, vegetable, or another flavor of your choosing)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee (optional; for a deeper brown gravy flavor)
- Water, as needed
- Salt, to taste (optional or as needed)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the starch, flour, bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed, black pepper, paprika, and instant coffee (if using).
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- When preparing the gravy, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of gravy mix for each cup of water, depending on how thick you want the gravy to be.
- Whisk the mix and water together in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for a minute or two, while whisking.
- Taste for salt and add a little to taste, if desired.