Sausage is one of those foods where gluten and top allergens can hide. Yes, even milk! I’ve read many sausage labels with whey, lactose, cheese, milk, or cream. But this Versatile Homemade Pork Sausage is a basic recipe that’s completely top allergen-free. It is great in hashes, pastas, and rice dishes. Or you can use the optional sage and make it into breakfast sausage patties. This particular recipe doesn’t use fennel, to keep it more versatile. But if you like that Italian flare, you can add certainly add in those flavorful seeds.
Photo by Rachel Tayse.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Homemade Pork Sausage
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 15 pounds pork butt, coarse ground (not fine ground like hamburger)
- 2 ounces kosher salt
- 1 ounce coarse ground black pepper
- 1 ounce paprika
- 1 ounce crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ounce sage (for breakfast sausage)
- Combine the pork, salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper, and sage (if using). Up to ½ cup of water can be added to help distribute the ingredients. Use your hands like you're kneading bread to ensure all ingredients are mixed and well distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow the flavors time to develop.
- Shape into patties and cook, or use as loose sausage in recipes.
- Leftovers can be rolled in wax paper and frozen.