Sweet and savory flavors commingle in this easy, flavorful rice dressing. The recipe has the vibe of a classic holiday side dish but with it’s own unique set of ingredients that just happen to be dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and even optionally vegan! It’s perfect for almost all of your guests to enjoy.
This recipe for honey nut rice dressing was shared with us by Riviana Foods, the makers of Minute Rice. Did you know that Minute Rice comes in Whole Grain Brown Rice and a Multi-Grain Medley (with brown and red rice, wild rice, and quinoa), both of which are gluten-free? Where have I been? I was also impressed with their extensive allergen statements – viewable with each product online. Considering how long it can take to cook whole grains, I may need to get a stash of this for eating emergencies!
Special Diet Notes: Honey Nut Rice Dressing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked (such as Minute® Brown Rice)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine (can sub olive oil)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare rice according to the package directions.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and saute until lightly toasted. Add the onions and celery and saute until crisp-tender, just a few minutes.
- Stir in the rice, raisins, parsley (if using), honey, lemon juice and salt. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.