Get out of the brown sugar rut with this hearty, healthy, honey pecan oatmeal. It’s infused with dairy-free pecan milk, topped with fresh and dried fruit, and drizzled with natural sweetener. For strict, honey-free vegans, we’ve also provided other sweetener options.
Honey Pecan Oatmeal that’s Bursting with Bananas and Cherries
This sweet-tart breakfast combination reminds me of a banana split, without the chocolate. Here are some tips to make it perfect for you.
Choose Your Cherries Wisely. In the Chocolate Cherry Pecan Energy Balls, I recommend using “dried sweet cherries” for the best flavor results. But this honey pecan oatmeal has a sweeter finish, especially if you use the full amount of honey. So I recommend the contrast of tart cherries. If you do use sweet cherries, you might want to use the lesser amount of honey.
Make it a Banana Split Breakfast. Why not go all the way by adding some chocolate?! You can keep it healthy with a sprinkle of cacao nibs. They add pure chocolate flavor without loads of sugar, and a nice crunchy texture.
Adjust for Your Oats. You can make this honey pecan oatmeal with quick oats, but you will want to reduce the cook time. No matter which type you use, I recommend heating in 30 to 60 second intervals, and stirring between each interval. This helps with even cooking and can prevent an oat overflow.
This honey pecan oatmeal recipe with photo was shared with us by AmericanPecan.com.
Special Diet Notes: Honey Pecan Oatmeal
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For strictly vegan pecan oatmeal, substitute maple syrup or your favorite honey alternative for the honey.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dairy-free pecan milk beverage
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- ¼ cup dried tart cherries
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey, to taste
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, stir together the water and oats. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the oats are cooked and the water is absorbed. Watch carefully to avoid boiling over. (see Tips in post above)
- Divide the oatmeal between 2 bowls. Pour ¼ cup pecan milk over each bowl.
- Divide the sliced banana, pecan halves, and dried tart cherries between each bowl. Drizzle each serving with 1 to 2 tablespoons honey.