This recipe for grilled vegan skewers is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Debbie Tsujimoto. For the sauce, she uses dairy-free Cultured Coconut Milk (yogurt) from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Indian-Inspired Grilled Vegan Skewers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- Half a lime, squeezed for juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fresh minced ginger root
- 1 8-ounce container So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk (Yogurt)
- 7 ounces extra-firm Wildwood tofu, cut into 6 large cubes
- 6 butternut squash cubes
- Hand mix lime juice and all spices into the yogurt in a small bowl. Set aside for brushing onto skewers while grilling them. Use a silicone pastry brush.
- Roast the squash cubes in 450ºF oven for 30 minutes. When the squash is done, remove from oven, and wet your wood skewers (2) first, to avoid burning.
- Thread the tofu cubes and butternut squash, alternating them for a total of 6 cubes per stick. Heat up your stove top grill pan, begin grilling skewers, then brush the yogurt sauce onto them. Turn them a quarter turn every other minute, to avoid over cooking any side. Baste the sauce on as needed when you turn them. Serve on a Japanese style plate if you have one, and you may put extra sauce in a mini dish on the corner of the plate.