Many different variations of James Beard’s Zucchini Bread have been made over the years, but this is the classic. It was shared with us as a favorite from Paul and Freya Erickson during their time with Just Baking. We’ve made some very slight modifications to the recipe, but have stayed true to the original recipe from the cookbook, Beard on Bread.
This makes a very sweet, flavorful zucchini bread that’s rich with vanilla and cinnamon. It’s just lightly moist with a tender crumb. If you want more moisture, you can add another cup of zucchini. For less sweet bread, you can reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup (to 1 1/2 cups), but this will result in slightly dryer loaves.
Special Diet Notes: James Beard’s Zucchini Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (can use part whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional; omit for nut-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until light and foamy. Add the sugar, zucchini, oil, and vanilla and mix lightly but well.
- Add the flour blend to the egg-zucchini mixture, and stir until well blended. Fold in the nuts (if using).
- Scrape the batter into your prepared loaf pans and even it out.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool on a rack before slicing and serving.
More Classic Dairy-Free Quick Bread Recipes
Don’t worry, the recipe includes a non-alcoholic option, if needed. It’s a super-easy, naturally egg-free and yeastless savory bread with rustic appeal.