This rich dairy-free kahlua coffee ice cream has a very grown-up flavor and creamy consistency. The coffee liqueur adds depth, and it helps to keep the ice cream a little softer for scooping. Adding more sweetener will also yield a slightly softer texture. It’s all thanks to a little frozen dessert secret: alcohol and sugar do not freeze!
The recipe was originally shared with us by the founder of Foods Matter. We’ve adapted it slightly from their July 2007 issue, but still maintained their formula:
We used (6) shots of espresso coffee from our local coffee shop but if you have a home espresso machine you can make your own. With such low sugar the ice cream has a quite ‘adult’ taste, which you may not find sweet enough for ice cream. The flavour matures in the freezer so try to make it a bit ahead of time.
In other words, feel free to sweeten this dairy-free Kahlua coffee ice cream as desired. And keep in mind that it will taste a little less sweet once frozen.
Special Diet Notes: Kahlua Coffee Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- ⅔ cup espresso coffee
- ⅔ cup Kahlua, Tia Maria, or other dairy-free coffee flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar, or to taste
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or ⅓ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Put the coconut milk, coffee, liqueur, and sugar in your blender and blend until smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Taste test, and add more sweetener if you prefer a sweeter dessert.
- Place the blender container in the refrigerator and let cool for 2 hours.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the pecans, add them when the ice cream is getting thick, but still churning.
- Pack the dairy-free coffee ice cream in a freezer-safe container, and freeze. It will take about 4 hours to set up to hard-packed. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before scooping.
Key Pantry Supplies: Kahlua Coffee Ice Cream