This kale salad recipe was originally shared with us back in 2007 by Vesanto Melina, a registered dietitian and author of several great books, including Becoming Vegan, Cooking Vegan, and The Food Allergy Survival Guide. She said that it originated from a Vancouver spot called Radha Yoga and Eatery, which unfortunately is no longer around. Leah decided to give it a try, and as usual, she took some beautiful photographs!
Leah thought this kale salad was phenomenal with no changes needed. In fact, she said, “I loved how colourful and vibrant it was. It was full of so much flavour and easy to whip up to have in the fridge for the rest of the week.”
Special Diet Notes: Kale Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Be sure to use wheat-free tamari, if you need strictly gluten-free.
For a soy-free kale salad, use a chickpea or barley miso and swap coconut aminos for the tamari.
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly-sliced red cabbage (250 ml)
- 1 to 2 carrots, grated or julienned
- ½ cup daikon radish, julienned (125 ml)
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped (59 ml)
- ¼ cup mint, chopped (59 ml)
- Sesame seeds
- Dulse flakes (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons minced, fresh ginger (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons miso (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos or wheat-free tamari (30 ml)
- 4 dates, pitted, soaked
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional) (10 ml)
- Cayenne or black pepper, to taste
- Add the kale, cabbage, carrot, daikon, red pepper, and herbs to a large bowl, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and dulse flakes, if desired.
- Place the juice, ginger, tahini, miso, vinegar, aminos or tamari, dates, and sesame oil, if using, in your blender. Puree until smooth. Blend in pepper, to taste.
- Add your desired amount of salad dressing to the salad, and toss to combine.
- If possible, allow the dressed salad to sit for 20 minutes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yum!!! That orange ginger dressing sounds heavenly. I want to eat more veggies, so this kale salad sounds perfect!
Kale yeah this is my kind of salad! The orange ginger dressing sounds amazing, can’t wait to try it!
This sounds so good. Looks like the kale salads you get at restaurants! Yummy!
I love having a good Kale Salad! This one looks amazing! I love your dressing! I cannot wait to try this out!
I adore tahini so I bet this would be a fabulous dressing. I used to think I hated kale, but after a few massage it recipes, I get it!