I’ve been fielding more questions about dairy and nutrition lately. Specifically, a lot of people have been concerned about getting enough micro-nutrients while following a dairy-free diet. So I thought it would help to share some more nutritious recipes, like this kale slaw, that help to fill in the void. It’s a pretty salad that suits almost every occasion and season.
This Colorful Kale Slaw is Simply Plant-Based & Nutritious
It’s easy to make this beautiful salad, just chop, whisk, and toss! And it provides a good dose of the day’s micro-nutrients, including dairy-free calcium, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, and more. Just one cup of shredded kale provides about 10% of the RDA for calcium, and it’s more readily absorbed than the calcium in milk!
Suggested Kale Slaw Additions
I’m sure you can come up with more, particularly if you raid your refrigerator. But here are some of my top suggestions for topping this kale slaw salad.
- Sliced Almonds – In addition to crunch, these nuts provide another boost of calcium, vitamin E, fiber, protein, and “healthy fats.”
- Cucumbers – Slice these into half moons for a fresh, crispy addition to this salad. This light vegetable is bigger on water than nutrients – which I’m sure most of us need more of! But it does boast a surprising amount of vitamin K.
- Cherry Tomatoes – The humble tomato ranks as one of America’s favorite vegetables, and it’s rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and the antioxidant lycopene. Cherries and other little tomatoes also burst with flavor that compliments the creamy red wine vinaigrette in this kale slaw recipe.
- Chickpeas or Other Beans – Beans are surprisingly rich in antioxidants, and they also boast high fiber and plant-based protein. Some varieties also have a little calcium to bump your overall intake.
This kale slaw recipe with photo was shared with us by Aramark.
Special Diet Notes: Kale Slaw with Red Wine Vinaigrette
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, paleo, and food allergy-friendly.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (regular, lite, or vegan)
- 1 tablespoon honey (can sub agave nectar for strictly vegan)
- 1½ teaspoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage leaves
- ½ cup grated or julienne carrot
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mayonnaise, honey, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss together the kale, cabbage, carrot, and green onion. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate prior to serving.