This kale slaw recipe was shared with Go Dairy Free by Whole Foods in honor of an organic orange sale. To note, kale is a great source of calcium, and citrus has been linked to healthier bones, too!
From Whole Foods: “Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale, isn’t as tough as curly kale and lends itself well to raw salads like this one. This recipe will easily double for a big group or potluck.”
- 1 bunch lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 small head, quartered and cored)
- 2 navel oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper.
- Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.