Years ago, we held a Fast & Fresh Recipe contest that drew in quite a few smoothie recipes. We have many of them listed in a round-up, but I realized the other day that they were hard to find. So I’m adding a few that we have photos for to our recipe section. And since we’re heading into the peak of key lime season, I thought I would start by featuring this healthy dairy-free Key Lime Pie Shake.
This plant-based Key Lime Pie Shake was submitted by Mandy Aureli. It’s creamy, nutritious, and a great option for people who want to incorporate more healthy fats into their dairy-free diet.
Special Diet Notes: Key Lime Pie Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
For coconut-free and lower fat needs, you can substitute soft silken tofu (not soy-free) for the coconut milk and use a soy-free, dairy-free creamer.
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ of an avocado, pitted and peeled
- ¾ cup plain dairy-free creamer
- ⅔ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, refrigerated
- ¼ cup agave nectar or honey
- Juice of 1½ limes
- Place the banana, avocado, creamer, coconut milk, sweetener, and lime juice in your blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add more lime juice or sweetener, if desired.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish with remaining wedges of lime.