These zesty blueberry breakfast buns are a tasty twist on traditional cinnamon rolls. The recipe was submitted by Pam Correll as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for iced lemon blueberry breakfast buns uses Almond Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Buns
For egg-free and vegan blueberry breakfast buns, substitute your favorite powdered egg replacer or about a scant 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana for the egg.
For nut-free blueberry breakfast buns, substitute coconut milk beverage for the almond milk beverage.
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Milk Beverage
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
- ⅓ cup + ½ teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, softened
- 1 egg (see post above for vegan option)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided (plus more for kneading)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Warm the milk beverage to 115°F in a small saucepan. Stir in the yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar and let sit 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ⅓ cup sugar, buttery spread, egg, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir well for 1 minute. Add 1½ cups of the flour and mix for 1 minute. Add the remaining flour and stir to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let set in a warm place for 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Stir together the sugar, buttery spread, flour and lemon zest until it forms a paste.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle measuring 12x16-inch. Spread the filling over the rectangle and distribute the fresh blueberries on top.
- Roll the dough up tightly from the long end. Slice into 12 equal pieces. Place the rolls, cut sides up into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 350°F oven for 24 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the pan to a cooling rack and let cool while you make the frosting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, buttery spread, and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over the warm rolls.Sprinkle the lemon zest garnish atop the iced blueberry breakfast buns.