This recipe for lemon coconut scallops is a “video” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Caity. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 core ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
The sprouts preparation:
Searing the scallops:
The finished dish with the lemon coconut scallops:
Both the lemon coconut scallops and Brussels sprouts are marinated in fresh lemon juice and coconut milk. One is simmered, the other roasted.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Lemon Coconut Scallops
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 20 Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 thinly sliced lemon
- 4 large sea scallops, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Place the halved Brussels sprouts in a pan with high sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup coconut milk beverage, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and season the blend with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over top of the sprouts.
- Top the sprouts with lemon slices and roast for 25 minutes, or until slightly brown.
- While the Brussels are roasting, lightly season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Sear the scallops for 1 ½ minutes per side.
- Remove scallops to a plate, add 1 ½ cups coconut milk, shallots and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer.
- When the sauce has reduced by half, add the scallops and cook until just cooked through; do not overcook.
- Plate the scallops, simmer the sauce a little longer to reduce it further, then pour on top of scallops.