This recipe for Indian-spiced vegetables in homemade whole wheat wraps is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shailja Vishwakarma. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Spiced with cardamom, sweetened with brown sugar, and topped with toasted cashews, coconut and sesame seeds, Moongdal is an Indian lentil pudding that is often served for breakfast.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Indian Lentil Pudding (Moongdal Kheer)
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 150 grams split green gram lentils (moong dal)*
- 150 mL water
- 300 grams brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 100 mL So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 10 whole cashews
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Wash the lentils in a bowl and soak for 15 minutes.
- Put the washed lentils in a pan, add water and cook on stove.
- Add brown sugar and cardamom and cook to 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk beverage and mix.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the coconut oil. Add cashew nuts, sesame seeds, grated coconut and sauté until raisins are light brown.
- Serve lentils hot or chilled, as preferred, and topped with nut-fruit mixture.