To celebrate the addition of dairy-free and vegan wedding cakes to their amazing menu, head chef Brandon Baker of Loveletter Cakeshop in NYC has offered to share their secret recipe for vegan double chocolate cake!
Who says vegans can’t have their cake and eat it too? Chocolate cake is one of the easiest and most delicious cakes to make vegan, and if you use high quality chocolate (couverture is best), your guests won’t even tell the difference. At Loveletter Cakeshop, we’ve served this double chocolate cake at weddings for vegan brides and grooms and non-vegan guests absolutely love it, too.
But don’t stop with this double chocolate cake recipe – be sure to head over to the Loveletter Cakeshop website to take a peak at their creations. The cakes are beyond stunning!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Double Chocolate Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to use a chocolate that suits your dietary needs, and those who are soy-free should take note that many vegetable oils are made with soy oil. If needed, use another neutral baking oil for this double chocolate cake.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1⅛ cups warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 8 ounces original milk beverage (Brandon uses soymilk or almond milk)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven at 350ºF. Grease and flour two 6-inch round cake pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Place the sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add the water, oil, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, and set the mixer on low speed. Slowly add the dry ingredients (except the sugar), and mix until fully incorporated. Add the sugar slowly and mix just until batter is smooth (do not over-mix).
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place the chocolate chips in a bowl, and set the bowl over hot water. Melt the chocolate completely.
- Combine the milk beverage and vanilla in a pan over medium-low heat, and cook until simmering. Remove from the stove.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the milk beverage mixture and stir until just combined (over-stirring may cause your ganache to separate).
- Let sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or the until ganache is at your desired consistency for spreading on the cake.