This recipe for a caramel pear torte is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Sil. For the filling, Sil uses a surprising combination of avocadoes, tofu and Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Key Lime and Caramel Pear Torte
By ingredients, this is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
Though not tested (editor’s note here), I believe that you could enjoy a soy-free caramel pear torte by substituting full-fat coconut milk / cream for the tofu. It would be a littler higher in fat, naturally.
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 2 cup desiccated coconut flakes
- 3 ripe avocado
- 1 cup silken tofu
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon each vanilla, brandy extract
- 2 key limes zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup So Delicious Dairy Free French Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer
- 5-6 ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a stand mixer with a whisk on high. When the eggs start to thicken and become fluffy begin to slowly add the sugar. Whisk to a stiff peak. Slowly fold in the almonds and coconut. Spread into a well greased false bottom pan or spring form pan. Bake for 40min at 300F the crust should not be brown. Cool to the touch.
- Blend all ingredients together into a smooth puree.
- Add sugar and oil to a skillet on medium-high heat. Stir to melt sugar. It will brown and caramelize.
- Drop in the pears and cook (approx. 7 min.) stirring gently to brown. Turn off heat. Bring to room temperature.
- Spread the filling into the shell and top with pears and caramel sauce. Refrigerate for 1 hr. only as it tends to darken. But does not change the flavor.