This multi-grain granola recipe was shared with us by Bob’s Red Mill as a part of their Grains of Discovery Event. The event focused on numerous ancient grains, including amaranth, which is highlighted in this baked cereal. Amaranth is a unique little grain that’s looks almost like a tiny version of quinoa. It’s quite high in dairy-free calcium, magnesium, iron, and essential amino acids. Fortunately, it’s pretty tasty, too!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Multi-Grain Granola
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free muti-grain granola, use Certified Gluten-Free Oats for the oats, and substitute the barley flakes with more of the Certified Gluten-Free Oats.
For egg-Free and vegan muti-grain granola omit the egg white. The egg white helps with creating “clusters”, but it can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of aquafaba. Or, you can whisk 1-1/2 tablespoons water with 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax for a mock egg white substitute.
For nut-free multi-grain granola, substitute more seeds for the two nut varieties or use a variety of seeds and fruit.
- ½ cup bob’s red mill amaranth
- ½ cup rolled barley flakes (see above for gluten-free option)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds (shelled)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup dried blueberries (or a combination of dried fruits like cherries, cranberries, golden raisins)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 egg white
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the amaranth, barley flakes, oats, pumpkin seeds, nuts, dried fruit, and brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, vanilla, oil, salt and ginger. Add to the amaranth mixture and stir to combine. In the same small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Pour into the granola and mix to combine.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Spread the granola out onto the baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until slightly golden. Do not stir during baking, rotate baking sheet if needed to ensure even baking.
- Let cool completely and then break granola up into clusters.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to seven days.
Pingback: Amaranth Grains of DiscoveryGluten-Free Doctor