My job isn’t simply to provide info on dairy alternatives. When I started Go Dairy Free, I made it my mission to share how wonderful dairy-free can be. And there are so many delicious, naturally dairy-free foods! This Mexican citrus salad recipe is just one example. It was shared with me many years ago by beloved food writer, Susan Russo.
This Mexican Citrus Salad Squeezes Nutrition into Dairy-Free Diets
The primary reason I love this salad recipe is because it is delicious, but it also has a side benefit for dairy-free people. It uses fresh oranges and grapefruits, both of which have been linked to better bone health. Yes, multiple studies have correlated citrus with positive bone density in both children and adults.
Susan likes to use blood oranges in this recipe, but regular oranges, or even tangerines, impart equally delicious flavor and seem to have similar health benefits.
Special Diet Notes: Mexican Citrus Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a paleo Mexican citrus salad, substitute honey for the sugar.
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach or salad greens
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 orange or blood orange, peeled and cut into sections
- 1 pink or ruby red grapefruit, peeled and cut into sections
- 3 large radishes or ½ purple onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas (see below)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the juices, sugar, oil, and cumin until combined.
- Whisk in the salt and cayenne, as desired. (I use just a pinch)
- Divide the spinach or greens between 4 plates.
- Top each bed of greens with the avocado, orange, grapefruit, radishes or onion, and cilantro. Sprinkle with the pepitas.
- Drizzle each salad with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette.