Congratulations to Brianna of Flippin’ Delicious! After kitchen-testing every entry in the Simply Organic Dairy-Free Bake Off, her Mexican Hot Chocolate Baked Donuts were chosen as the Grand Prize Winner for taste, performance and creativity.
Brianna won a $500 gift card from Simply Organic, and we’re hoping the money goes toward making some more of her amazing recipes!
One of our kitchen testers said:
Everyone liked these chocolate baked donuts, even my husband, who isn’t a gluten free fan. I used Enjoy Life’s gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, but think they would work well with all-purpose wheat flour for people who don’t bake gluten-free. They are simple to make and very cute with the tiny marshmallows on top. Everyone liked the flavors, especially the cinnamon and the warmth from the bit of heat. They are very tender and flavorful. There was some glaze left, but you could go heavier with the dipping.
If you were to make these Mexican Hot Chocolate Donuts with all-purpose white flour (wheat-based) instead of gluten-free, you could omit the xanthan gum.
Special Diet Notes: Mexican Hot Chocolate Baked Donuts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. There is an egg-free / vegan option included.
- ⅓ cup dairy free milk beverage of choice
- 1½ teaspoons white or apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup gluten free all-purpose flour blend (such as Brianna's cookie/cake blend)
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder (can use a mild natural cocoa powder)
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (use the higher amount for spicy!)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (Brianna uses Dutch Processed)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon + additional for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder + additional for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk beverage of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows (Jet Puffed Mallow Bits used here & toasted with a kitchen torch)
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF and lightly grease a 6-well donut pan.
- In a measuring cup, combine the dairy free milk and vinegar and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, spices, salt, and xanthan gum.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg, oil, vanilla and dairy-free milk-vinegar mixture and whisk to combine those ingredients. Then stir everything together to make a batter.
- Scoop the batter into a sandwich bag, snip a corner off, and pipe the batter into the wells of your donut pan until they're each about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- In a microwave safe bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chipotle powder. Add the dairy free milk beverage and vanilla and whisk until smooth. It will be very thick!
- When you are ready to glaze the donuts heat the glaze in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds or until it is thinner and warm to the touch.
- Quickly dip each donut in the glaze and garnish with the mini marshmallows, cinnamon, and chipotle powder, as desired. Work fast as the glaze can set up pretty quickly.
More Winning Dairy-Free Bake Off Recipes
Smoky Chipotle Gingerbread Cake (vegan & soy-free) – Runner-up Winner in the Simply Organic Dairy Free Bake-Off!
Chai-Spiced Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream (vegan & soy-free) – Reader’s Choice Winner in the Simply Organic Dairy Free Bake-Off!
All Entries in the Simply Organic Dairy-Free Bake Off (many vegan, gluten-free, allergy-friendly & paleo options)
Pingback: Dairy-Free Coconut Chai Smoothie Recipe (with "Milkshake" option!)
Pingback: Chai-Spiced Vegan Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Cinnamon Buttercream
Pingback: Dairy-Free Bake Off Recipes: Cakes, Cookies, Breads & More!
Pingback: Smoky Vegan Gingerbread Cake (Runner-Up Recipe Contest Winner!)