Chili powder and cumin spice up this Mexican Tofu Tortilla Salad, which is complimented with fresh avocado, tomatoes, onions, and your choice of fresh greens. If you can locate them, a handful of microgreens will add amazing nutrition and visual appeal to the salad mix.
This recipe was shared with us by Morinaga, the makers of Morinu silken tofu (I love the organic silken tofu for this tofu tortilla salad, but all Morinu silken tofu is made with non-GMO soybeans). The photo is by Kate Lewis.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mexican Tofu Tortilla Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your corn chips wisely for this tofu tortilla salad, and make them non-GMO, if possible.
Spicy or Tame? Keep in mind that the heat of this Mexican Tofu Tortilla Salad depends largely on the chili powder that you use. Chili powder comes in mild, medium, and blazing hot varieties. If you want some spicy insurance, add cayenne pepper, to taste. To tone it down and add rich smoky notes, you can use smoked paprika (also available in mild and hot varieties) as a substitute for the chili powder in this tofu tortilla salad.
- 1-1/2 pounds Morinu Firm Silken Tofu (preferably organic)
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 1 pound mixed greens
- 16 non-GMO blue corn chips, slightly broken
- Drain the tofu and dice into large cubes. Set aside in a shallow baking pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, and chili powder mix thoroughly.
- Pour the olive oil marinade over the cubes and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- In a large salad bowl, lightly toss the onions, tomatoes, avocados, and mixed greens.
- Top the salad with the marinated tofu (using any residual marinade as dressing) and garnish with the blue chips.
Pingback: Sesame Ginger Tofu Recipe: Vegan Entree to Enjoy Fresh or Baked!