This one pot creamy pasta recipe was a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Nancy Diana. For the lightly creamy consistency, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
Special Diet Notes & Options: One Pot Creamy Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just use caution, and read the ingredients carefully when selecting broth.
For egg-free and dairy-free one pot creamy pasta, use your favorite egg-free noodles. Many are available in stores!
For tree nut-free and dairy-free one pot creamy pasta, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the AlmondMilk.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped rough
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 lb lean ground beef, chicken or vegan meat alternative
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Original Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped + extra for garnish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 package dried egg noodles (approximately 1 lb - see post above for other options)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large preheated skillet add the oil, followed by the onion, pepper and garlic. Stir to soften. Push the vegetables over to one side and add the meat, stir to brown and cook, 5-8 minutes. Take your time, this stage develops the end flavours.
- Add flour, stir and cook for another minute. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring vigorously to thicken and prevent lumps. Add the tomato puree, herbs and spices. Cook with a lid slightly ajar on medium high heat for 10-15 minutes. Stirring to prevent sticking, deglazing the pan.
- Add ½ of the broth then the pasta noodles. Bring to a boil then, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir every 5-6 minutes so liquid distributes evenly while cooking. Add more broth ½ cup at a time as pasta begins to expand and absorb liquid.
- Add peas 5-6 minutes before pasta is thoroughly cooked. This is a creamy dish so the pasta will not be al dente. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parsley.