These adorable, mini dairy-free pumpkin pies are the perfect dessert for intimate holiday gatherings. Each guest can enjoy their own personal pie! You can also freeze these little treats to enjoy whenever cravings strike.
Incredible Eggs shared this wonderful holiday recipe and photo with us. We have adapted their formula just slightly to be dairy free.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mini Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian. These mini dairy-free pumpkin pies do use eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone, see this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For gluten-free mini dairy-free pumpkin pies, use your favorite gluten-free pie crust recipe, such as Carol’s Perfect Gluten-Free Pie Crust.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sustainable palm shortening, cold
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- To make unbaked crusts, mix the flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in the shortening with pastry blender until pieces are size of small peas.
- Mix the egg yolks, 6 tablespoons ice water and lemon juice in small bowl. Add to the flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly and tossing with fork until moistened and dough just holds together. Add remaining ice water, if needed to hold it together.
- Gather the dough and shape into six 1-inch-thick disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out each dough disk on a lightly floured surface, rolling from center to edge, to form 6-inch circles. Fold into quarters; ease and unfold into six 4-inch pie plates. Press the pastry gently against bottom and sides of each pie plate, easing out any air. Trim the edges leaving ½-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under and flute the edges.
- Cover the crusts with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- To make the filling, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl. Beat in the creamer or coconut milk.
- Pour approximately ⅔ cup of the filling into each chilled mini pie crust.
- Carefully place the pies on a rack in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 20–22 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of a pie comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Loosely cover the pies with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to firm up.
- Garnish with toasted pecans and whipped coconut cream, if desired.
Key Ingredients: Mini Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pies