These mini beet and carrot loaves are flecked with fresh carrots and pickled beets, which not only add flavor, but help keep the spiced quick bread moist and tender. They make delicious and beautiful gifts when drizzled with snow-white glaze and wrapped with festive ribbons and evergreen sprigs.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mini Beet and Carrot Loaves
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free / vegan beet and carrot loaves, use 2 egg replacers (such as Ener-G or Bob’s Red Mill) in place of the eggs.
For gluten-free beet and carrot loaves, substitute your favorite gluten-free flour blend with binder (such as xanthan gum or psyllium husk) for the flour in both the loaves and topping. I recommend using the eggs rather than an egg substitute if making this recipe gluten-free.
For nut-free beet and carrot loaves, omit the nuts in the loaves and substitute oats (certified gluten-free if needed) for the nuts in the topping.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) pickled beets, drained
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup grapeseed, rice bran, non-GMO canola or melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted dairy-free margarine or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 2½ teaspoons unsweetened plain or vanilla dairy-free milk alternative (your choice of type)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and grease 4 mini loaf pans or disposable 5-inch-by-3-inch foil pans.
- For the Loaves, chop the beets into ¼-inch pieces.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the brown sugar and oil. Whisk in the eggs. Gradually add the flour mixture, and mix well. Gently stir in the beets, carrots and nuts just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into your pans.
- For the Topping, combine all ingredients in small bowl and stir until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, before removing the loaves to a wire rack to cool completely.*
- To make the Icing, whisk together the sugar and milk alternative until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaves.
- Store at room temperature up to 3 days. You can also freeze it, unglazed, up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature; then drizzle with glaze.
Turned out delicious. Used regular size loaf pan and cooked for 75 mins. Skipped the icing. Delicious as it is
Awesome! Thanks for sharing Sophie!