This vegan mint chocolate chip snack cake recipe was an entry in one of our Dairy Free Recipe Contests. It was created by 10-year-old Thomas Makin of Rumson, NJ, but submitted by his mom, Teresa Makin – since he wasn’t old enough to enter!
This moist, tender cake is dotted with dairy-free chocolate chips and infused with peppermint. It’s perfect for a casual dessert or mid-afternoon treat. Dust it with powdered sugar for a snowy effect and that extra touch of indulgence.
Special Diet Notes: Mint Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup plain dairy-free yogurt alternative
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1¼ cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream the dairy-free butter. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the dairy-free yogurt, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and beat on medium-high speed until well-combined.
- Alternating, add the milk beverage and dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut the cake into snacking squares and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.