This recipe for mixed vegetables in coconut curry gravy is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shailja Vishwakarma. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage or Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Curry Gravy
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. In fact, this curry gravy dish is generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil (coconut, olive, or your choice)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon, curry powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups boiled or steamed mixed vegetables (French beans, carrots, potatoes)
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage or Culinary Coconut Milk (for richer sauce)
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger with very little water. This makes the gravy mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the gravy mixture. Then add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, chili powder, and cinnamon. Cook the mixture until it turns a light brown color.
- Whisk in the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir in the boiled vegetables and salt, to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.