In the winter, my children often enjoy a mug of warm cider or hot chocolate after school. The other day we were out of homemade dairy-free hot chocolate mix, so I decided to try this recipe for Dairy-Free Mocha Spice Tea instead. It was in our archives on Go Dairy Free, and in need of an update!
Reminiscent of a coffee drinker’s mocha, this is a great recipe for tea drinkers who want something a little special instead of their ordinary cup of tea. Everyone enjoyed it. It’s not as sweet as hot chocolate, and the spices make it extra warm and comforting. This chocolaty recipe will certainly be added to our after-school snack rotation.
I did make a few updates to the recipe. The original recipe called for sucanat; I replaced it with granulated cane sugar, and added some sweetener options. Also, the original recipe said that the residual heat from the pan would be enough to warm the milk, but I ended up with a cold drink. I recommend heating the milk mixture over low heat just until warmed through. While the recipe said four servings, I divided this mocha spice tea into five generous servings and could have easily filled six teacups.
Special Diet Notes: Mocha Spice Tea
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, top food allergy-friendly, optionally paleo, and optionally keto-friendly.
- 1 cup strong black tea, freshly made
- 6 tablespoons sugar, or other sweetener to taste (see Sweetener Note below)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
- 4 cups plain dairy-free milk beverage (I used almond milk beverage)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour the tea into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the sugar and cocoa powder and cook, stirring until dissolved and until the mixture just comes to a boil.
- Remove the mocha tea from the heat and whisk in the milk beverage, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Warm the mocha spice tea over low heat until heated through, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour into cups to serve.
Key Pantry Supplies: Mocha Spice Tea