Some curry chicken recipes use cream or yogurt, or the flavor might be a little bold for young taste buds. But this is a very Americanized twist that is dairy-free, simple to make, and kid-approved. It was submitted by Go Dairy Free viewer, Kerri:
This was a great (and really quick) suggestion by my mom for our family! We had it tonight and the boys (ages 2 and 4 1/2) ate a HUGE bowl full! It was a good change from our usually tomato-based sauces.
Tips: Mom’s Curry Chicken
Kerri originally shared this recipe with us back in 2011. Today we’re giving it a big update and adding some tips!
Slightly Higher Heat Option – Kerri sometimes speeds up the cooking time just a little by increasing the oven temperature to 350ºF and baking for 75 minutes.
Modifying to Taste – The sauce is mixed up before you add the chicken, so you can adjust it to fit your family’s taste. Kerri doesn’t specify what type of mustard she uses, which can alter the flavor. So don’t be afraid to experiment with different types.
How to Serve It – You will be left with a saucy finish, so I recommend serving it over cooked rice, quinoa, or potatoes. For vegetables, steamed broccoli or green beans are good options. And you can serve dairy-free pita or other bread on the side.
Special Diet Notes: Mom’s Curry Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly.
- ⅓ cup dairy-free buttery spread (Kerri uses Earth Balance)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup prepared mustard
- 2 to 4 teaspoons curry powder (see note above)
- 5 chicken breasts, cut into large pieces (can sub frying chicken pieces)
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the honey, buttery spread, mustard, and curry powder. Heat the sauce in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until fluid.
- Whisk the sauce again to combine and pour it into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Add the chicken pieces and flip them to cover each piece with sauce on both sides.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 90 minutes.