This fun and simple infusion of coconut and bananas makes for a very tasty monkey popcorn snack mix. I typically recommend the large unsweetened coconut flakes (not shreds), but for a sweeter treat, feel free to go for the sweetened variety. Or you can even toss the popcorn snack mix with a touch of extra sweetener after the coconut oil drizzle.
Monkey Popcorn Snack Mix with Coconut and Bananas
When made as is, the popcorn snack mix is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, and all around allergy-friendly. However, I do recommend that you splurge on some organic or non-GMO kernels. Popcorn isn’t GMO yet, but corn in general is rapidly becoming a top genetically-modified crop. If corn isn’t an option for you, then try rice cake crumbles, like in my Peanut Butter Cinnamon “Popcorn” Crumbles.
Also, if you are keeping an eye on sugars and processed ingredients, check the label carefully on the banana chips. Many contain hydrogenated oils, preservatives, or excessive additional fats or sugars. Gerbs Banana Chips are made simply with coconut oil and without added sugars. Sincerely Nuts Banana Chips are a good option if you prefer them a little sweetened.
This monkey popcorn snack mix recipe and image was shared with us by The Popcorn Board. However, we have adapted their formula ever-so-slightly to be dairy-free and have more of a coconut infusion.
Special Diet Notes: Monkey Popcorn Snack Mix
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup flaked coconut (unsweetened or sweetened - look for the large flakes, like these or these)
- 6 cups air-popped popcorn (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Spread the coconut in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, breaking up any clumps as needed. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges of coconut begin to brown.
- Spread popcorn over coconut and sprinkle with melted coconut oil. Toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle popcorn mixture with sugar, salt and nutmeg, and toss again to evenly coat.
- Bake 5 minutes longer and stir in the banana chips.
- Serve immediately or cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.