I’m always on the lookout for quick lunch and dinner ideas, and I love Asian-inspired flavors. This recipe for Moo Shu Wraps covers all the bases! It’s a fun, Americanized dinner that comes together in minutes. It was originally shared with us by Kristen Doyle at Paper Palate, who got it from EAT magazine. And I’ve made a few new modifications.
Recipe Tips: Moo Shu Wraps
Wrap It Up – I upped the nutrition a bit by using Aldi 100% Whole Wheat Tortillas instead of white flour tortillas. You could easily replace the wheat tortillas with gluten-free wraps.
Pick Your Protein – The original recipe calls for lean boneless pork. I’ve sometimes run into undeclared dairy in pork tenderloin, so I used boneless pork chops for the pork in these Moo Shu Wraps. For a vegetarian or vegan option, you can use sliced tofu.
Not-So-Sneaky Vegetables – Minus the enclosed sauce packet, Aldi’s Fusia Oriental Stir Fry vegetables were a perfect, colorful addition. My kids especially liked the baby corn.
Take it To Go – I think these Moo Shu Wraps would make a great lunch for work, too. But I would pack the tortilla separate from the cooked meat and vegetables to keep them from getting soggy. Both could easily be reheated in a microwave.
Special Diet Notes: Moo Shu Wraps
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegetarian, and optionally vegan.
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas (or gluten-free wraps, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound lean boneless pork, cut into strips (can sub extra-firm tofu for vegan)
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce or plum sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee Hoisin; you can use Wok Mei for gluten-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Wrap the tortillas tightly in foil and warm them in your preheated oven for 10 minutes. Or wrap the tortillas in microwave-safe paper towels and microwave them on high for 15 to 30 seconds or until the tortillas are softened.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork strips and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the stir-fry vegetables and the soy sauce or tamari and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the hoisin or plum sauce. Place a quarter of the meat mixture just below the center of each tortilla.
- Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla up and over the filling. Fold in the sides until they meet and roll up over the filling. Cut the wraps in half, if desired.