Recipe Update! This pumpkin hummus is a guest post and recipe from Robin Robertson. Robin has penned over 20 plant-based cookbooks, including her latest vegan titles: Vegan Without Borders, Hot Vegan, and The Nut Butter Cookbook.
Beginning with Halloween on through to New Year’s Eve, there will no doubt be many occasions when you’ll need a quick and easy dip to serve with your favorite crackers or crisps. For a tasty new spin on a classic spread, try this Moroccan-spiced pumpkin hummus.
It’s made with the usual hummus base of chickpeas, tahini, and garlic, but that’s where the similarity ends. Fragrant spices including ginger, coriander, and cinnamon signal that this is no ordinary recipe. A generous amount of solid-pack canned pumpkin, gives the dip a lovely color and flavor, as well as nutrition. With a small amount of cayenne, this pumpkin hummus isn’t especially hot, but if you prefer great flavor without any heat, just leave out the cayenne entirely.
This pumpkin hummus goes together quickly, but plan to make it in advance to give the flavors time to bloom. A sprinkling of chopped pistachios [optional if you prefer a nut-free dip]adds a festive and flavorful crunch.
Special Diet Notes: Moroccan-Spiced Pumpkin Hummus
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios, for garnish (omit for nut-free)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, turmeric, cayenne, and sugar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tahini and chickpeas, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the pumpkin, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a shallow serving bowl and sprinkle the pistachios on top, if using.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until needed.