This recipe for mostly healthy chocolate chip muffins is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Kristin Neff Froass. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Kristine says, “I am a parent of 2 children with dairy sensitivities, who also has dairy sensitivity. I make my own dairy-free recipes daily. Below is my recipe for Mostly Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins, which is based on my grandmother’s nut bread recipe. These muffins are easy to eat on the go for a delicious breakfast, healthy snack or a light dessert, and are a favorite with our family and friends. So Delicious Almond Plus give the muffins delicious taste and texture.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mostly Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For nut-free and dairy-free chocolate chip muffins, you can substitute coconut milk beverage for the almond milk.
For an even healthier muffin, you can substitute whole wheat pastry flour or white-wheat flour for the all-purpose flour. The muffins will be a little denser, but they will have an earthy flavor.
- 2 cups unbleached flour (see note in post above for options)
- ¾ cup natural sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- ⅔ cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1-1/3 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Almond Milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a "well" in the middle of the bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients to the "well" and mix well.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Top each muffin cup with 5-8 extra chips, if desired.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.