This recipe for watermelon cake is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Fiona Verdon. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Greek-Style Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
This all-fruit dessert is really watermelon flesh disguised by superfood dairy-free yogurt “frosting”.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Nutritious Watermelon Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- 1 whole watermelon
- So Delicious Dairy Free Greek-Style Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt (flavor of choice)
- 2 teaspoons acai powder
- Chopped fruit (I used peaches, kiwis, strawberries and blueberries)
- Cut ends off watermelon, then place vertically and carve the outside shell off in a smooth circular cake shape.
- Mix the acai powder (you could also substitute this with cacao powder, cinnamon, or agave nectar) with the Greek-style yogurt until well mixed.
- Lightly pat the watermelon with paper towels to take the excess water off.
- Smooth the yogurt 'icing' over the 'cake'.
- Place in refrigerator for 25 minutes.
- Decorate with fruit. Serve immediately or leave in fridge.