This recipe for blueberry tarts is a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Sally Surdem.
Sally says, “These blueberry tarts have a grapefruit curd and toasted nut crust. I add dairy-free creamer to the curd which takes away some of the sharpness of curd and gives it a nice smooth creamy texture. Quick and easy and can be made in 5 minutes and then cooled and ready to devour in 15 minutes. It can also be made ahead and then assembled when needed or stored prepared without the berries up to 1 day ahead, refrigerated.”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Nutty Citrus Blueberry Tarts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (lime and lemon can be substituted)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer, Original or Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum
- ¼-1/2 cup washed, drained blueberries (or any berry)
- ¼ cup roasted nuts ( I used almonds, peanuts, walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- For the filling, pour the juice, yolks, flour and sugar into a small sauce pot. Stir to incorporate well. Turn the burner to high, whisking continuously and vigorously, bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to #6 or #7 add the creamer and continue to whisk so the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom(1min).
- When thickened to a pudding consistency remove from heat and strain through a sieve to remove any bits. While still hot stir in the rum. Cool while you prepare the crust.
- For the crust, in a processor or coffee grinder grind the nuts.
- Mix the above ingredients together and press into 2, 3"-4" fluted tart pans.
- Press firmly up the sides so the nuts hold their shape, making a well in the center to allow more filling.
- To assemble, spoon the filling into the prepared crusts and freeze uncovered for 5-10min, just to set and cool. When ready to serve top with blueberries and a sprinkling of icing sugar if desired.