Far from your ordinary crumble bars, these apple pie bars are literally like an old-fashioned apple pie. They include a double crust and all, but are cut into tasty glazed squares.
This recipe for apple pie bars was shared with us by TreeTop, and we are oh, so grateful!
Special Diet Notes and Options: Apple Pie Bars
These apple pie bars are dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free when made as is.
For vegan apple pie bars, I would use aquafaba in place of the egg. 1 tablespoon for the yolk, 2 tablespoons for the white.
For gluten-free apple pie bars, you can use gluten-free, dairy-free pastry-dough. But take note that it can break and crumble more easily. If using gluten-free pastry, roll it out right on the parchment on the baking sheet, and use extreme care when placing the top layer. My husband really likes the Gluten-Free Pantry Perfect Pie Crust Mix.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 egg, separated
- Non-dairy milk alternative (see instructions for amount)
- ⅔ cup crushed organic (or non-GMO) corn flakes
- ½ cup applesauce (such as TreeTop Organic
- 5 cups sliced, peeled apples
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ / powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Sift together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the shortening in with pastry blender or fork until crumbs form.
- Put the egg yolk into a measuring cup and add milk alternative to make ⅔ cup.
- Pour the milk alternative mixture into the shortening mixture, and mix just until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Roll out half the dough into a 15 x 11-inch rectangle on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, and transfer the whole thing to a baking sheet.
- Cover the pastry with the corn flakes.
- Stir the apple sauce together with apple slices, and spread on top of the corn flakes.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the apple mixture.
- Roll out other half of the dough for a top crust. Gently place it over the apples, pinching the edges together.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and spread it on the top crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, until smooth, and drizzle over top of the bars.