I think Robin Robertson must hold a record for the most vegan cookbooks produced. Today she’s launching yet another title, One-Dish Vegan Revised and Expanded Edition: 175 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Pan and One-Plate Dinners. And to give you a taste of this full-color collection, Robin is sharing this One-Pot Sicilian Couscous recipe.
This is a 2nd edition of One-Dish Vegan, one of Robin’s most popular titles, with a whole new look, updated photos, and 25 brand new recipes.
It includes a huge array of plant-based meals, including stews, chilis, casseroles, stove top sautes, stir-fries, substantial salads, pastas, and more. Here’s just a small sampling of the recipe titles:
- Caribbean Greens and Beans Soup
- Chili Verde
- Coconut Curry Noodles and Butternut Squash
- Japanese Vegetable Curry
- Smoky Chickpea Saladwith Mango and Avocado
- Lime-Dressed Vermicelli with Edamame and Green Papaya
- One-Pot Sicilian Couscous (recipe below!)
Special Diet Notes: One-Pot Sicilian Couscous
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil or ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14-ounce or 400 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon saffron or ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups (246 g) cooked chickpeas or 1 (15.5-ounce or 440 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1¼ cups (219 g) uncooked Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 (12-ounce or 340 g) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ½ cup (85 g) Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh (8 g) parsley or (5 g) basil
- Heat the olive oil or water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Stir in the tomatoes, dried basil, saffron, and paprika. Stir in the chickpeas, couscous, broth, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes longer or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the artichoke hearts, olives, and lemon juice and season with black pepper just before serving.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley or basil and serve hot.