Semifreddo, which means semi-frozen, is the greatest way to churn up a frozen treat without an ice cream maker. It’s a classically Italian dessert that’s typically rich in dairy and eggs. But this vegan semifreddo is made from a whipped coconut mousse and tastes remarkably like a childhood favorite: orange creamsicle pops.
Orange Crème perfectlyfree bites take center stage in this restaurant-worthy vegan semifreddo. They have a rich coconut crème center wrapped in a vibrant orange sorbet to double down on the creamsicle experience.
It’s a delicious grown-up version that’s also a treat for the eyes. But don’t just save the recipe for special occasions. This creamy chilled dessert is easy enough to add sweetness to any day, and is loved by kids and adults.
Perfectlyfree non-dairy frozen bites currently come in five fun flavors: Mint Chocolate, Salted Caramel Vanilla, Cocoa Vanilla, Raspberry Chocolate, and the Orange Crème used in this vegan semifreddo.
Each bite is made without artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. And they contain just 30 calories, 1 gram of fat, and about 3 grams of sugar for a decadent portion-controlled treat.
Perfectlyfree non-dairy frozen bites recently received vegan certification from Vegan.org. They are also free of the top 8 allergens, but do contain coconut. This vegan semifreddo recipe uses cashews, but we’ve provided a nut-free options so everyone can enjoy this creamy frozen dessert.
This post is sponsored by perfectlyfree, but we only work with products that we love! The recipe and photos are by Hannah Kaminsky, a Go Dairy Free team member, professional photographer, and vegan cookbook author.
Special Diet Notes: Orange Creamsicle Vegan Semifreddo
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup raw cashews (see below for Nut-Free Option)
- ¼ cup dairy-free lemon or vanilla yogurt alternative
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 perfectlyfree orange crème bites
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- Place the coconut milk can in the refrigerator, and a mixing bowl with beaters in the freezer. Put the cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Let all of these sit for 4 to 6 hours.
- Open the can of coconut milk without shaking it. Scoop out the solidified layer of cream and place it in your chilled mixing bowl. You should get around ⅔ cup of spoonable coconut cream. Save the leftover coconut water for another use, like smoothies.
- Begin mixing the coconut cream on low speed and gradually turn it up to high. Whip the cream until firm, fluffy peaks form, which could take as long as 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and place them in your blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and sugar and puree until completely smooth. Add the liqueur, zest, and vanilla extract, and pulse to incorporate.
- Gently fold about one-third of the cashew mixture into the whipped coconut cream to avoid deflating the whip. Repeat with another third, and then the final third, until creamy and smooth. It should have the consistency of a citrus-coconut mousse.
- Spoon the semifreddo base into large square silicone ice cube molds or individual ramekins until about three-fourths of the way full. Gently press one orange crème bite into the center, and then a second on top. The second bite should peek about halfway out of the top.
- Carefully move the molds into your freezer and freeze the vegan semifreddo for at least 8 hours, or until fully solidified.
- If there are any leftover perfectlyfree bites, enjoy them while you wait. You've earned it!
- Whisk together the orange juice and agar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately pour the mixture into a heat-proof container, let cool, and then refrigerate. The mixture will set to a firm gel.
- Place the orange gel in your blender or food processor. Add the milk beverage and puree until it turns into a smooth, thick sauce.
- To serve, spoon a generous amount of the orange coulis onto the bottom of a dish, pop out one of the individual semifreddos, and place it in the center. Let it thaw slightly at room temperature for about 5 to 10 minute before digging into this decadent dessert!
This looks so impressive. I’d love to try the nut free version! The perfectlyfree bites look like a perfect thing to keep in the freezer for summer treats.
They are PERFECT for summer treats.
I’ll be trying this recipe. The orange creme is my favorite perfectlyfree flavor!
Then you will love this recipe Amanda!
I’ve never had semi-freddo before but now I certainly want to! Wow! Yum!
Right? This is the one to start with 🙂
What a gorgeous dessert! Reminds me of a dessert we had in Italy!
Ooh, now I want to visit Italy!
What a great idea. Love that you made a semifreddo vegan. Looks like a great summer treat!
It really is perfect for summer and parties.
Creamsicles were big in my childhood too! This looks delicious 🙂
Indeed, such a perfect flavor combo.
This is such an elegant dessert! Creamsicles were one of my favorite summer treats when I was young. Thanks for sharing this, Alisa!
Mine too! Definitely a treat worth revisiting.
Pingback: Vegan Orange Creamsicle Semifreddo Summertime Recipe
Creamsicles remind me of my childhood, and I haven’t had one in forever. This looks like such a nice treat. I’m going to have to look for those perfectlyfree bites the next time I go shopping.
Right? They are so nostalgic! I highly recommend looking for the Dianne. They’re every bit as fun as the flavors and quite unique.