Special Diet Notes: Orange Spelt Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil [use grapeseed or other neutral oil for soy-free]
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil or butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin tin liners.
- Sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, zest, allspice, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the orange juice, applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well combined. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.