Panzanella Salad is a classic salad from Italy that’s made with stale bread, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. It can contain other ingredients, including cheese or tuna, but this is a dairy-free and plant-based recipe that’s hearty enough for a light meal.
Plant-Based Panzanella Salad with a Delicious Pantry-Style Twist
It isn’t that uncommon to see lettuce and olives added to modern versions of panzanella salad, but this recipe really goes off the beaten path. It also contains artichoke hearts, radishes, and even chickpeas for a boost of fiber and protein. And it includes options for using canned ingredients, to make preparation super fast.
Some Florentine traditionalists might not approve these rogue additions, but we think they’re a tasty idea! A few other ingredients that you might like to add include red onion, cucumber, garlic, bell pepper, or fresh herbs.
Panzanella salad is also a great way to use up leftover, stale bread. Most people use French bread, but you can use any type, even whole grain. And because gluten-free bread is usually on the dry side, it also works quite well in this recipe.
This dairy-free panzanella salad recipe with photo was shared with us by Cans Get You Cooking.
Special Diet Notes: Pantry Panzanella Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound day-old dairy-free Italian bread, cut into ½-inch cubes (gluten-free, if needed)
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (can sub 2 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (3.8-ounce) can olives, drained
- 1 (1.5-ounce) can sliced radishes (can sub 2 fresh radishes)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the bread cubes with the lettuce, tomato wedges, beans, artichoke hearts, olives, and radishes.
- Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette, and toss it to coat.
- Serve the salad immediately, or let the flavors meld for about 30 minutes before serving.
Key Pantry Supplies: Dairy-Free Panzanella Salad
Oh my gosh, this looks so easy AND delicious! I love that it uses pantry ingredients.
LOVE LOVE LOVE panzenella salad! It has all of my favorites (except radishes) and I can’t get enough of salads…ever! Already pinned!
This looks delish, I love that it is dairy free and that you can make it gluten free too! Perfect for the whole family 🙂
I’ve never had Panzanella Salad! It’s packed full of all my favorite ingredients though. Love this plant based version, yum 🙂