Anne’s Not-Your-Average Mac ‘n Cheese
Author: Debra's Natural Gourmet newsletter
- 1 bag Tinkyada rice pasta
- 1½ Tbsp Earth Balance spread
- 1½ Tbsp sweet brown rice flour
- ¾ c plain soy milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pkg Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar
- ½ c organic red cabbage
- 3+1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 c organic broccoli florets
- 2 organic carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ organic red cabbage
- 1 Tbsp oil for sautéing
- Chop the veggies into whatever sizes and shapes you like, but small enough to fit on a fork. Shred the Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar, reserving 2 tbsp for topping. Set pasta water to boil.
- Make a roux by melting the Earth Balance in a small saucepan then adding the rice flour until it becomes a hot paste. Add ½ cup soymilk to the roux and bring to a simmer. Add the cheese, and 3 tbsp yeast, and stir until it melts. It will melt, eventually. If your sauce needs more liquid, add soymilk.
- Sauté veggies in oil, with salt and pepper, until tender, but crisp. Toss noodles and veggies with the cheese sauce in an oven-safe pan, taste for seasoning, and top with the remaining yeast and reserved vegan cheddar. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until cheese melts. Enjoy.
This recipe is Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, and Vegan.